Monday, May 16, 2011

Home Sweet(?) Home

I've made my triumphant return to Northeast Pennsylvania, or "The Valley" as we like to call little corner of the world sometimes. I return to Hamden to start work on my fellowship on June 1. I'm really stoked to go back.

There are things about home that I like, that every college kid likes I imagine. It's good to see your family and your friends. It's good to have a fully stocked food pantry. Its good to have the solitude of your own room. Of your own bathroom. and not have to pay $3 per load of laundry that you lug however many flights of stairs. We all share that.

This summer what is different for me is that I'll really only be home these two weeks. I love my life at Quinnipiac, but I always enjoyed being home too. I now have these two weeks to cram everything in. Spending time with my girlfriend who home but will living in Pittsburgh for the summer (which is over 5 hours from the Valley), spending time with my friends, and getting to play some golf with my Dad. And there's the around the house chores, but those are often kind of light. Oh yeah and my biggest project, car shopping. I have a 1997 Jeep Wrangler that I'm selling ($6300, if you're interested). It's a really fun car, but terrible on the highway and not a practical traveling vehicle.

My point being, my summers aren't ultra relaxing anymore. Last summer I worked near 60 hours/week, the summer before I did 40hours/week of laying tile. I love being in college, I love doing new and exciting things, but I really miss the days of being 14 and not having a care in the world for months. When all I was responsible for was soccer practice, paintball, sleeping in, and going for bike rides.

No comments:

Post a Comment