Sunday, March 6, 2011

For the Love of the Game(s)

I'm hoping most of you got to see at least one of the games this weekend, because even though this afternoon's loss to Robert Morris University was the worst disappointment since the crushing loss to the same team last year, the Quinnipiac spirit was incredible.

This afternoon, I loved seeing the different t-shirts and signs representing QU and members of the team.  I really loved the WWRD - What Would Rutty Do - t-shirts and "I believe that we will win" chants.  And right before we lost, the "Not this year" chant was great, too.  It was awesome seeing so many people out supporting Quinnipiac.  It made me so proud that I go to Quinnipiac and was a part of the crowd coming out to support the advancement of fellow students.  Saturday night, during the hockey game with Brown University, was a very different story.

There were considerably less fans in the student sections Saturday than today.  Still, those there seemed determined to amp up Quinnipiac spirit.  I wasn't surprised by some fans yelling "sucks" after each Brown athlete was introduced, I had seen that at previous games.  I was surprised however, at those who stood and turned their back to the ice to not even acknowledge the players.  Also, as I sat by the exit the Brown athletes and coaches used to walk off the ice, I heard terrible things yelled to the players.  In particular, I remember "your mother is a fat slob" coming up once or twice.

Now, I am not saying this was every Quinnipiac student at the game, because it was only a couple individuals.  But they continued with their insults during the game and I am simply wondering how this type of chanting translates to school spirit. 

Here is an example of a Quinnipiac hockey game, an away game at Union College in NY, during which such insults were not tolerated.  Union officials have been removing students from games if their speech doesn't stay within a positive realm.  The students there, however, are complaining that the officials are now going too far in what they determine to be unsportsmanlike conduct.  The students quoted in the article feel the threat of expulsion from the stands keep them from supporting their school.  I am in no way advocating a similar standard to be set at Quinnipiac either.  I believe the police officers posted around the arena are enough to enforce acceptable behavior. 

I am also not naively suggesting an atmosphere where both teams' fans hold hands and get along.  Ultimately, I understand the point of going to a game is to be competitive and to support your team coming out on top.  I understand "boo-ing" and jabs against the other team/school is part of that spirit.  Here, the QU Chronicle suggests chants for an earlier hockey game.  I understand these insults come with the territory and think these listed are clever and fine.  However, "your mother is a fat slob" is noticeably absent from the Chronicle's list.  I guess I am just wondering how such a personal taunt can be considered productive for your team.  To me, I would think it could only cause a negative impression of Quinnipiac's students on Brown's athletes and coaches.  It just seems so counter-productive when we have other positive aspects to our student section: the band, Boomer's dancing and antics, other teams supporting the playing team, etc.  I want to continue being proud of being from QU, but what if the attending Hamden residents look at us differently, hearing these same chants?  Maybe someone else who attends more games than I do can explain where the line of sportsmanship is/should be drawn.  It's just something I've been thinking about.                  

No comments:

Post a Comment